There are numerous ways to clean up old posts. Node Expire + Rules is one way, however it requires the user to specify an expiration date, another module, and in that sense is neither intuitive nor efficient. Using Rules and Views together via rules + views integration there’s a great way use the data that has already been entered.
For the video folks here’s your 2 minute rundown of what is up:
1) Create the rule set to handle the data. Add a content argument – you’ll be passing the node ID’s over to Rules for the actions to take place
2) Inside the rule set add a rule – no conditions are needed, just add the action to unpublish the nodes
3) The final rule should look similar to the image at right
4) Once you’ve got your rule set up it’s time to create the view that will send information over to the rule. Assuming you have rules + views integration and Views Periodic Execution installed you’ll now be able to execute your views on a cron tab
5) In views you’ll need to set the periodic execution phase, the rule set, and of course set up your filters as per usual and MOST IMPORTANTLY include the NID (so that rules knows which nodes to act on)
6) The Views Periodic Execution mod by Stephen Jones aka darthsteven
7) and of course you need to choose the rule set unto which the little nids may argue and achieve action. Once you pick your rule set the available arguments’ll appear – any fields you have elected to have appear in your view are available to activate the rule.